‘Tis the season for big hoodies, football games, watching Netflix and of course, eating something with pumpkins involved. If you are a fan of everything that has to do with fall and winter, this recipe for pumpkin spice ice cream is definitely going to be on your checklist.
This is what you will need :
1 cup whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon superfine or granulated sugar
⅓ cup canned pumpkin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon , plus extra for dusting
drop of vanilla extract
- Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan and heat gently , stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam but not boil.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl until it becomes smooth. Add ⅓ cup of the sugar and whisk until pale and slightly fluffy. Gradually and slowly , pour the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking continuously to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat, stirring frequently, until the custard thinly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let it boil
- Pour back into the bowl and set aside for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature. For more rapid chilling, fill a sink halfway with cold water and ice and place the bowl of mixture in it for 20 minutes. Never put the hot mixture into the refrigerator.
- Put the pumpkin, cinnamon ,vanilla extract, remaining sugar, into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add to the chilled custard and whisk well. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the churning is complete, use a spoon or spatula to scrape ice cream into a freezer-proof container with a lid. Until it reaches the correct scooping texture (at least 2 hours),dust each portion with a little ground cinnamon before serving.
With this easy recipe you will be sure to have a great dessert this entire fall season.