Açaí bowls are very good for you, and make the perfect light snack. They are basically an extremely thick smoothie that has been topped with oatmeal or other toppings.
A definite added benefit of Acai is that it contains great antioxidants.It has anthocyanin, which help ensure a healthy heart, plant sterols which provide cardio-protective benefits, and phytochemicals that aid in anti-aging. Sadly, these popular bowls have always been hard to reach. However, it’s easy and cheaper to make your own at home!
4 tbs acai powder(On Amazon or Vitamin Shoppe)
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup almond milk or coconut water
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
1 tsp honey
- Blend the acai powder, frozen berries, milk, spinach leaves and honey. Add a little almond milk or water if it is too thick. The texture should be a little thicker than a regular smoothie.
- Great topping ideas are:
– Shaved coconut
– Peanut butter
If you are thinking of places to go near you, here are some suggestions!
- Nektar – In Sunnyvale and has probably the best granola topping I have ever tasted out of the Acai places I have been to.
- Bare Bowls – Best overall place for acai bowls. Although all places do use real fruit/honey etc., you can taste the freshness and sweetness of the acai. Also the atmosphere is calming and refreshing. However, it’s all the way out in Palo Alto.
- Samba Rock Cafe – Unique atmosphere with great acai bowls. However, it is out in Santa Cruz.
- Jamba Juice – Probably the most convenient and likely place to go to in the San Jose area. Their bowls are pretty good, however do not taste as fresh as the other places.